A Darker Shade Of Magic by V. E. Schwab - book review



It was about time to join that wagon!
*Images are from Google Images

This is the first book I read by V. E. Schwab, but oh-my not the last one for sure!!!! Now I know what was that hype all about her books!!! Well, everyone was reading Vicious and Vengeful some months ago, so I decided to start her other trilogy first and I am so happy that I did!!

If you, like me, haven't read the trilogy yet just do it!!!!
In this post I will talk about the first book, as I am currently reading the second!




The world if this book is really interesting! There are supposed to be four parallel London dimensions, each one somehow "next" to the other.
Black London was corrupted and destroyed by magic.
Red London is where Kell (our main character) and Rhy (another character) are from! It is full of magic and flourishes!
White London is where Holland (another character) is from! It has magic, but is rare.
Grey London is our London. Magic does not exist there! This is where Lila, our other main character is from.


This is a young adult fantasy book, following mostly Kell and Lila. Kell and Holland are the last known Antari. Something like blood mages! They are the only ones who are capable of travelling throughout different Londons!
Lila, is a strong-minded lady, determined to travel the world and become a pirate! And when her path crosses with Kell's, she is determined to do whatever it takes to change her life!

I really, really like Kell!! And Rhy! I could be friends with them for sure!
Holland... hmmm... I don't know! He is so mysterious that I feel drown to him but he seems so distant and full of secrets!!!
Lila... I didn't like her in the beginning, but her character grows so much as the story progresses!





So, in general I was attracted to the world and the characters of this story! The plot is really interesting too and kept that till the end! I am so curious to see how the story will go on and what will happen to those characters in the future!

The fan-art is to die for!!! So many amazing artists have created some beautiful drawings of the world and the characters!

I would love to see this as a movie!!! It would be sooooo good!!

I rated this book with 4.5 stars!



Some of my favorite quotes:



“I apologize for anything I might have done. I was not myself.”
“I apologize for shooting you in the leg.” said Lila. “I was myself entirely.” 



“Sure I do,” countered Lila cheerfully. “There’s Dull London, Kell London, Creepy London, and Dead London,” she recited, ticking them off on her fingers. “See? I’m a fast learner.”

“You know so little of war. Battles may be fought from the outside in, but wars are won from the inside out.”

Bad magic, Kell had called it.
No, thought Lila now. Clever magic.
And clever was more dangerous than bad any day of the week.”


“For the ones who dream of stranger worlds.”

“You look more ready to storm a city than seduce a man.”




Check also the Goodreads page!

Most people only know one London; but what if there were several? Kell is one of the last Travelers—magicians with a rare ability to travel between parallel Londons. There’s Grey London, dirty and crowded and without magic, home to the mad king George III. There’s Red London, where life and magic are revered. Then, White London, ruled by whoever has murdered their way to the throne. But once upon a time, there was Black London...

That's all for now!!!

*If you like this book you will probably also enjoy Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes! 





See you next time!
xoxo
Joan!

*Also follow @booksreadbyjoan on Instagram!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey Book and Movie Review (spoiler-free)