Lunar Chronicles #2 - Scarlet by Marissa Meyer


Scarlet is the second novel in The Lunar Chronicles book series! Have you read Cinder yet? Yes? Awesome! Go ahead then! πŸ˜‰

Happy New Year guys!!!!!! 


My first post for 2016 was the book review of Cinder! And the first for 2017 is all about Scarlet! I don't know... I just found this random event really cool!!! Hahaha!!! πŸ˜†However I read it back in September.... so enjoy my super late book review!!! πŸ˜…
 
Scarlet
 Scarlet has features from Little Red Riding Hood! It takes place in futuristic France and New Beijing after World War IV, when the evil Queen Levana of Luna is trying by any means to marry emperor Kai in order to control the Earth too.  

Our story follows Scarlet, a young girl with scarlet hair and a red hoodie, trying to find her grandmother who's been missing. She doesn't know who took her and why but it seems that Wolf, a street fighter she meets, has some clues and wants to help. 
At the same time, we get to see what is also happening to Cinder, our heroine from the first novel. Cinder manages to escape from the New Beijing prison, with the aid of Captain Thorne. She hasn't yet truly embraced her true identity, aka Princess Selene, but Queen Levana seems to know and does everything to find her. Cinder is now trying to find more about Selene before deciding what to do!
And Kai... well things are complicated for him! He is looking for a way to keep the peace between Earth and Luna but really doesn't wish for Cinder to be found.

Wolf
I really admired Cinder for her persistence but guys... Scarlet is just the same or even more persistent to find her grandmother and solve the mystery of her disappearance. Even if she doesn't trust Wolf, she accepts his help for a chance to achieve her goals.
Truth being told, in the beginning I couldn't trust Wolf either from the fact "look what the wolf did to Little Red Riding Hood" from the fairy tale! He has all that mystery around him that makes him so interesting to me! And his strength is something so admirable!  I really liked this duo being added to our story and to the main characters from the first novel! 

Thorne
And let's not forget about Thorne! I also loved his character! He is really cute and made me laugh out loud! I welcome him to the squad with all my heart! 

Even though most readers liked Cinder better than its sequel, I liked Scarlet more! I loved the fact that we have two different stories taking place at the same time and I literally couldn't wait for the moment they would meet each other!
I am definitely not going to wait another year to finish reading this series! I am so thrilled to see what will happen!! 

I rated this book with 5/5 stars!


This novels has plenty of amazing quotes!! But I will only share some of the spoiler-free ones!!

“A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”
“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.” 


“A captain always knows where his ship is. It's like a psychic bond.”
“If only we had a captain here.” 

“We met less than a week ago and in that time I've done nothing but lie and cheat and betray you. I know. But if you give me a chance...all I want is to protect you. To be near you. For as long as I'm able.” 

“She sighed, annoyed at her restlessness. “So,” she said, disrupting Wolf in another backward glance.
“Who would win in a fight—you or a pack of wolves?”
He frowned at her, all seriousness. “Depends,” he said, slowly, like he was trying to figure out her motive for asking. “How big is the pack?”
“I don’t know, what’s normal? Six?”
“I could win against six,” he said. “Any more than that and it could be a close call.”
Scarlet smirked. “You’re not in danger of low self-esteem, at least.”
“What do you mean?”
“Nothing at all.” She kicked a stone from their path. “How about you and … a lion?”
“A cat? Don’t insult me.”
She laughed, the sound sharp and surprising. “How about a bear?”
“Why, do you see one out there?”
“Not yet, but I want to be prepared in case I have to rescue you.”
The smile she’d been waiting for warmed his face, a glint of white teeth flashing. “I’m not sure. I’ve never had to fight a bear before.” 


“I don't like to think of it as 'stolen'. They have no proof that I didn't plan on giving it back."
"You're kidding, right?"
He shrugged. "You have no proof either."
She squinted back at him. "Were you planning on giving it back?"
"Maybe."
An orange light blinked on in the corner of Cinder's vision-her cyborg programming picking up on the lie.” 

“I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.”

“When she had gone, Thorne let out a low whistle. “I know, I know. She seems a little”—crossing his eyes, he swirled both fingers around his ears—“but it’s really part of her charm, once you get to know her.”



Well. I guess that's enough!!!! Hahaha!!!!
I totally recommend this book if you like fantasy and fairy tale retellings! 
*Images of the characters are from The Lunar Chronicles Wiki.

Till next time!!
xoxo Joan!

Comments

  1. I nominated you for the Mystery Blogger Award! http://elenaoftheuniverse.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-mystery-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey Book and Movie Review (spoiler-free)