Catwoman: Soulstealer by Sarah J. Maas - book review



Hello everyone and happy Saturday! 😎 I am coming at you with a new book review! This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018 being written by my favorite author! So let's begin!


I read it earlier this month so it's cool to finally post a recent review! Hahaha!!!

Catwoman is the third book out of four in the DC Icons book series. The others being:

  • Wonder Woman :Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo
  • Batman : Nightwalker by Marie Lu
  • Superman :Dawnbreaker by Matt De La Pena
I haven't read the other books in this series and you don't have to, as every book is a stand-alone.


First of all, I loved the dedication in the front page of the book! I expected it to be that awesome because you know.... Sarah J. Maas is my fantasy Queen!

FOR THE WOMEN WHO RAISE HELL AND HAVE FUN DOING IT

Am I right?

Second, I learned new dc characters! I was of course familiar with the main characters being Catwoman (duh!), Batwing, Harley and Poison Ivy but I didn't know Shrike, Tigris and many more that appear! 

I am also not familiar with the "real" Catwoman story, only with Anne Hathaway being Catwoman! So... I didn't know what to expect but it was definitely really different from that movie! Well, in the book, Batman is absent which was to be expected as he has his own book in DC Icon series!



The story takes place in Gotham City and follows our main character Selina Kyle, as she is being "transformed" into Catwoman, as we find out her true motives to her actions.

I found really interesting the connection between Catwoman, Harley and Poison Ivy. I didn't even imagine those three being friends!!! Harley Quinn is super funny but a bit crazy (or a lot) and Poison Ivy is just a woman who loves the earth a bit TOO much. 
But mostly of all, I LOVED the scenes between Catwoman and Batwig! Each one had their own struggles in the past which was pretty different, but it was what shaped their character and their alter-ego. It was cool to see that those actions made the one fight crimes and the other commit crimes. But, in the end of the day... well you have to read the book to find out how things went! It was a satisfactory ending that I enjoyed a LOT! 

The story-line was good enough but I found the first 200 pages being  quite slow. The last third of the book though was exactly what I was waiting for! It made up for the first two parts in a way! 

I gave this book 3 stars! But now that I am thinking it again it could a 3.5 stars... Haven't figured that out!



Some of my favorite quotes (non-spoilers):

"Where'd you come up with Batwig? Was it because Batman was already taken?"

When the Bat's Away, the Cat will Play.

"Aren't you going to take  off your helmet?"
"No"
"You ugly or something?"

Being normal is a trap.

Check out the Goodreads summary as well:

When the Bat's away, the Cat will play. It's time to see how many lives this cat really has. . . .
Two years after escaping Gotham City's slums, Selina Kyle returns as the mysterious and wealthy Holly Vanderhees. She quickly discovers that with Batman off on a vital mission, Batwing is left to hold back the tide of notorious criminals. Gotham City is ripe for the taking.
Meanwhile, Luke Fox wants to prove he has what it takes to help people in his role as Batwing. He targets a new thief on the prowl who seems cleverer than most. She has teamed up with Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn, and together they are wreaking havoc. This Catwoman may be Batwing's undoing


That's all for now guys! Let me now if you have read any super-hero or villain books down below and  which charcter is your favorite!!!
xoxo
Joan!
*Also follow @booksreadbyjoan on Instagram!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey Book and Movie Review (spoiler-free)