The Last Star (The 5th Wave #3) by Rick Yancey - book review


The Last Star is the third and final book in The 5th Wave book series by Rick Yancey. Oh yes! You got that right! I finished my first series for 2018, even though I owned this book since its release date back in 2016… Better late than never! Am I right?
So go read The 5th Wave and Infinite Sea and come back for this review!

I am not sure about this book to be honest… I liked it a bit more than the second novel in the series but the finale… I did not enjoy it that much and some of my questions were left unanswered…
First of all, if you are familiar with this series you know that it is a dystopian sci-fi novel where aliens are attacking our planet through different waves, and right now the 5th and last wave is here. Our cast of characters are still trying to survive and find a way to stop that 5th wave.



Our main characters are  Cassie, a teenage girl with much strength, determination and overprotective feelings. Sam, her younger brother, who has grown much since the first book. Zombie aka Ben, who still tries to protect his squad and make Ringer smile! Marika aka Ringer, the bad-ass girl of the squad. Ringer has a really great part in this book too. And last but not least, Evan, one of the Others who is determined to do whatever it takes to keep Cassie safe at all costs! His mayfly! Cute…! Evan is my favorite character! His loyalty to things we hold close is unique!!!
This book is full of adventure! FULL!!! So many things happen! The twists are so good!   However the finale did not get me! Yes, I understood that things had to happen a certain way, and this was probably a way, but  I needed something else or something more… Hahah!
I also wanted more scenes and conversations between characters. From my point of view, the action scenes were plenty and that way we couldn’t get what the relationship was like between the team. Maybe that’s because I wanted more Evan scenes!
As for the writing style, Rick Yancey’s writing is so real and authentic. It contains strong language so I would not recommend it to younger readers. And his humor is really smart. I enjoyed it very much as I made the same thoughts myself in some circumstances.

I rated this book with 3.5 out of 5 stars


Some of my favorite quotes:

“Love is forever. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be love. The world is beautiful. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be the world.” 

"Life is a circle bound by fear. The fear of the predator. The fear of the prey. Without fear, life would not exist."

"Cogito ergo sum. More the sum of our experiences, our memories are the ultimate proof of reality."

 “No matter how well you know someone, there's still a part of them you won't. You can't. Like, ever. A locked room. I don't know.”

“There's nothing fated in our stars. No meant-to-be in any of it. We are accidental people occupying an accidental planet in an accidental universe. And that's okay. These seven billion billion atoms are good with that.”

“Why do we always get the Evan we deserve instead of the Evan we want?” 

“Let no one despair,
even though in the darkest night
the last star of hope my disappear.
—Friedrich Schiller” 



That’s all for now!
See you soon!
Xoxo Joan!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey Book and Movie Review (spoiler-free)